International Media Support (IMS) is a non-profit organisation working to support journalists and media in countries affected by armed conflict, human insecurity, and political transition. Across four continents we help to strengthen professional journalism and ensure that media can operate in challenging circumstances. In the MENA region, we work with partners across the Middle East and North Africa to further the safety of journalists and promote media reform, build institutions and public interest media content.
The overall objective of Finance Controller is to provide financial oversight of the MENA department, and assigned offices, including quality assurance of both our local offices and partners within the MENA region, and training of both HQ and local MENA staff.
Department coordination and overall operations
- Financial oversight of assigned offices, including QA visits and training of local staff.
- Perform internal control and compliance of processes, transactions, and documentation for assigned programs.
- Compliance of program/grant budgets, setting up of job and budgets in Navision and controlling of master data for designated programs.
- Assessments, QA visits and training of IMS partners.
- Carry out control and compliance checks of financial accounts, budgets, and external audited reports from IMS partners.
- Focal point for queries on financial rules and regulations.
- Develop processes for IMS branch offices in cooperation with relevant colleagues.
- Prepare accounts and control documentation for external audits of programs and assist the IMS Finance Manager with the preparation for the annual audit of IMS.
- Bank reconciliations of all MENA department bank accounts
- Prepare training for internal capacity building of staff in the department incl. programme countries and coordinate vis-à-vis the IMS learning system.
- As a designated expert continually contributes to upgrading of Microsoft Dynamics NAV and to improve reporting to IMS management and program teams
- Contribute to the development of new or updated guidelines for IMS or external parners
- Backup for other finance staff during absences etc.
- Other ad hoc financial tasks as assigned by IMS Finance Manager
- Relevant educational background in e.g. business administration and/or management, HR management, finance or administration and/or at least 5 years of relevant experience preferably in an international working environment;
- Working experience from MENA Region an advantage but not a requirement
- Experience with public fund budgets, especially from the Nordic donor and the European Union is an asset;
- Excellent management, coordination and organisational skills and ability to work in fast-paced environment;
- Ability to perform distance management a requirement;
- Excellent command of Excel is required;
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV will be considered an advantage, but is not a requirement;
- Fluency in written and spoken in both Arabic and English at a business level is a requirement.
- Ability to drive and lead processes with larger teams in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to prioritize and solve tasks independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal, team player and leadership skills
- Strong attention to order and detail;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Everyone with the required qualifications and skills is encouraged to apply, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity and religion.
Duration and location
This is an open-ended, full-time position for 37 hours/week. Compensation commensurate with experience and IMS policies. Duty station: Copenhagen with occasional travel. Starting date: As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please submit a brief written application and curriculum vitae in English no later than 5th August 2020. Interviews with selected candidates will take place during 3rd or 4th week of August 2020. Please direct questions about the position to contact Deputy Director of Finance & Resources, Allison Brixtofte firstname.lastname@example.org