IMS has been engaged for the past decade with media and civil society partners in and around Syria to further freedom of expression and strengthen safety skills of media in the midst of the volatile and heavily conflict-affected context. Today, IMS has a comprehensive portfolio of interventions to strengthen the institutional capacity of independent media and supporting civil society organisations, developing the skills of media workers in coordinated efforts with national, regional and international media development actors.
With this aim, IMS is looking for an experienced Project Coordinator with in-depth knowledge of the region. The Programme Coordinator will be joining a team of dedicated and experienced programme managers and advisers already engaged in our activities.
The Project Coordinator will refer to the Head of the MENA Department.
- Programme design and preparation for future engagements: development of needs assessments, support to Programme Manager and advisers on programme strategies, theory of change and design of interventions including budget and resource mobilisation.
- Programme cycle management: ensure rollout of new grant periods, including elaboration of annual plans; partner assessments; elaboration of agreements with partners and consultants; keep track of and ensure compliance with deadlines for donor requirements and progress reporting.
- Monitor and maintain financial overviews and make sure programme and partners comply with donor and IMS requirements.
- Capacity building of current and new partners, including assessment of needs, setting targets and following up with a view to ensuring long-term effects and sustainable results.
- Support the Programme Manager and advisers in drafting results matrixes and ensure follow-up and documentation of learning.
- Responsible for production and drafting of terms of references, contracts and managing time allocated to advisors and consultants.
- Communicating results: work with the IMS Communications Unit to develop communication and media strategies for the programme and contribute to content on the IMS website, media and for IMS publications.
Qualifications and skills
- International development and media/journalism studies or related.
- Experienced in programme and project cycle management in countries challenged by an unstable political environment.
- Ability and willingness to operate and travel under challenging circumstances in conflict countries.
- Substantial implementation experience from conflict countries.
- Knowledge and experience in the combination of aid management and media development.
· Strong team working skills and the ability to handle many tasks at once while working independently.
· Strong interdisciplinary and intercultural team-working skills.
· Excellent communication, organisational and planning skills.
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet targets and deadlines.
· Strong English and Arabic language skills – oral and written is a prerequisite.
Everyone with the required qualifications and skills is encouraged to apply, regardless of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Duration and location
The period of the position is limited to 1 year. The position is full time. Compensation commensurate with experience and IMS policies. Duty station: IMS headquarters, Copenhagen, Denmark or possibly Turkey. Frequent travels activity must be expected. Starting date: As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please submit a brief written application and curriculum vitae in English to email@example.com no later than 23 January 2017. Kindly mark the application “Programme Coordinator, Syria” in the subject header. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a follow-up interview. Interviews with selected candidates will take place during the last week of January 2017.
Download the full job description