Youth Participation and Employment program – Danish Arab Partnership program (DAPP) , Mena region.
Oxfam is a global confederation of 19 highly interconnected national affiliates from the global North and the global South working with partners that mobilises the power of people against poverty, injustice and inequality enabling transformational change.
Oxfam IBIS is one of the partner affiliates of Oxfam, based in Denmark. Oxfam IBIS fights inequality and poverty and works for just societies where all people have equal rights, access and opportunities to influence, resources and quality education. Oxfam IBIS is working in the following 3 thematic areas through its strategic partnership with the Danish government (Danida): Economic Justice and Inclusive Democracies, Inclusive Peace Building, and Education for Active Citizenship. Apart from this Oxfam IBIS is also holding a humanitarian grant from Danida, focusing on Education in fragility and emergency, and is implementing a key programme engagement under the Danish Arab Partnership programme (DAPP) 2017-2022.
The DAPP is Denmark’s collaboration program with the Middle East and North Africa. The program helps to strengthen good governance and ensure economic opportunities, especially for young people and women in the region, through partnerships. Countries of focus are Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt and Jordan. Under the DAPP, Oxfam IBIS is contract holder on the programme on Youth Participation and Employment (YPE).
The YPE programme aims to increase life and technical skills for youth to actively engage in society, to enhance organisational capacity of institutions, the private sector, entrepreneurs and communities for support to youth, and to carry out advocacy and dialogue between youth, public and private institutions and business. Ultimately, the YPE programme aims to create employment opportunities in the framework of the Oxfam regional strategy with a focus on inequality, marginalized groups, gender and youth participation as integral to labour market development.
The YPE programme is implemented in close cooperation between Oxfam country offices, the Oxfam regional platform and with technical and administrative support from Oxfam affiliates related to the region. A programme management unit (PMU) hosted by Oxfam IBIS is responsible for overall programme quality and for the implementation of the YPE programme’s regional component.
The Youth Technical Advisor, will mainly work within two areas of the YPE: (a) Support country level and regional efforts on youth participation, which is one of the key areas of the programme and; (b) support the PMU regarding programme quality assurance (monthly meetings with country programme team managers, coordination efforts, gathering and coordinating systematic feedback on reporting from country offices.
Key objectives of the job:
The key objective of the role will be to provider maternity cover to the tasks of the Youth Technical Advisor of the YPE Program by continuing ongoing activities and starting new activities following a three-pronged approach: (a) support country teams in their efforts; (b) coordinate with various advisors to provided technical support to YPE and; (c) facilitate implementation of youth participation workstream of the Regional Activity Workplan for 2020 and 2021.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support the implementation of a youth led mapping in the four countries in cooperation with colleagues from Oxfam Novib (NL) and country offices. Provide technical support and thematic inputs on youth participation and economic inclusion as well as youth led processes.
- Recruit youth for leading the mapping. Assess mapping reports and materials along the way. Distribute results. Ensure follow up and mapping based action plans on country levels. Ensure communication/advocacy based on mapping – in countries, regionally, in DK
- Fora meetings with DAPP-Youth partners for strengthening youth participation approach (generation of new ideas and activities)
- Support Oxfam country offices to strengthen the youth component (programmatic/organisational as well as for advocacy efforts)
- Support internal learning and coordination on youth activities as part of the Youth Task team of Oxfam Ibis
- Coordination with the YPE communication advisor on: (a) content gathering of evidence provided through the YPE programme for communication to DAPPKOM and external media; (b) Youth led mapping + video (IBIS-NOVIB); (c) Finalize production of video series on youth and inequality from Morocco (with help from external consultant; (c) Ensure visibility on IBIS/DAPPKOM/other platforms
- Programme quality assurance: coordinate feedback to reporting from country offices, prepare and follow up on regional meeting with country offices and affiliated to coordinate regionally and set in motion increased regional activities
- General assistance to the MENA regional coordinator and PMU team leader in other work tasks and supporting the administrative and logistical arrangements connected with regional activities
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Requires the ability to collaborate with other programme units (e.g. technical teams, affiliates in-country).
- Decision-making requires significant levels of judgement based on technical experience for making financial decisions and implementing financial processes, policies and templates.
- Requires the ability to analyse and present information to concerned teams. Communication is with internal contacts only.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/ gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
Skills required for the position
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following essential skills, and it would be advantageous to demonstrate some or all of the desirable skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- At least 3 years’ experience with program in the MENA region, preferable youth program.
- Experience in working with multi-country programmes
- Experience in coordinating meetings remotely.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English
- Demonstrated ability, tact, and sensitivity in working across institutional boundaries, business units, and teams in an effective and productive way
- Excellent computer skills
- Verbal and written communications skills in Arabic and/or French
- Experience with remote management and coordination
- Experience in and working knowledge of projects funded by DAPP or Danida
The annual salary and benefits will be in line with Oxfam rules. The position is a fixed-term position for 10 months. You will be reporting to the YPE Team Leader at Oxfam. The location will be in Copenhagen with possible travels to Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia and Jordan.
How to apply
Please submit your application via the ‘send application’ button and include your motivation letter and CV.
Application deadline: June 25, 2020 at 23.59 CET. Expected interview date: June 29, 2020.
Expected start date: 15th July, 2020 (working from home from July 15 till August 10, 2020).
Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
Start date: As soon as possible.
For further information about the position, please contact Meta Bodenhagen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxfam IBIS is committed to equal employment opportunity we therefore encourage everybody – irrespective of age, gender and of religious, sexual, national or ethnic affiliation – to apply for this position.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organisations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct.
We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
Find out about everything we do – www.oxfamibis.dk