Oxfam is a global confederation of 19 highly interconnected national affiliates from the global North and the global South working with partners that mobilizes the power of people against poverty, injustice and inequality enabling transformational change.
Oxfam IBIS is one of the partner affiliates of Oxfam, based in Denmark. Oxfam IBIS fights inequality and poverty and works for just societies where all people have equal rights, access and opportunities to influence, resources and quality education. Oxfam IBIS is working in the following 3 thematic areas through its strategic partnership with the Danish government (Danida): Economic Social Justice (ESJ, Inclusive Peace and Education for Active Citizenship (EfAC). Apart from this Oxfam IBIS is also holding a humanitarian grant from Danida, focusing on Education in fragility and emergency., and is implementing a key programme engagement under the Danish Arab Partnership programme (DAPP) 2017-2022.
The Danish-Arab Partnership Programme is Denmark’s collaboration program with the Middle East and North Africa. The program helps to strengthen good governance and ensure economic opportunities, especially for young people and women in the region, through partnerships. Countries of focus are Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt and Jordan. Oxfam IBIS is contract holder on the YPE programme with the Danish ministry of foreign affairs under the DAPP with a focus on youth employment and participation.
The YPE program aims to increase life and technical skills for youth to actively engage in society, to enhance organisational capacity of institutions, the private sector, entrepreneurs and communities for support to youth, and to carry out advocacy and dialogue between youth, public and private institutions and business. Ultimately, the YPE programme aims to create employment opportunities in the framework of the Oxfam regional strategy with a focus on inequality, marginalized groups, gender and youth participation as integral to labour market development.
The YPE programme is implemented in close cooperation between Oxfam country offices, the Oxfam regional platform and with technical and administrative support from Oxfam affiliates related to the region. A programme management unit (PMU) hosted by Oxfam IBIS is responsible for overall programme quality and for the implementation of the YPE programme’s regional component.
To oversee the finance and accounting aspects of YPE as per donor guidelines and contract supporting the IBIS Financial Controller and the Programme Management Unit (PMU). The PMU works closely together with country offices in Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt and Jordan and with the MENA regional platform and designated experts from Oxfam affiliates.
Key purposes of the job:
- Oversee budgetary cycles, monitor programme expenditure, resolve problems and provide support to the Oxfam country offices on financial management and monitoring of YPE.
- Ensure financial management and donor requirements is carried out in accordance with internal processes and recognised financial standards.
- Provide financial expertise, business support and financial monitoring of the YPE programme, Oxfam country offices and if needed local partners in their grant management responsibilities.
- Take responsibility for provision of overview and strategic financial management of the YPE programme across the four countries.
- Actively participate in strategy formulation, YPE Programme Management Unit (PMU) meetings and provide financial management related advices to the programme team.
- Design systems and tools that promote internal and external accountability in financial management in the YPE project.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for strategic overview of financial management systems of the YPE project.
- Oversee all budgeting, forecasting, disbursement and accounting of YPE country programme funds as well as the regional component managed by PMU.
- Evaluate quarterly finance reports submitted by Oxfam country offices and collate them into a YPE programme level quarterly finance report.
- Ensure that Oxfam Financial policy and procedures are applied, and coherent Finance systems are established for varying programme modalities.
- Interprete financial information, support preparation of financial reports as required by the donor and give recommendations for further courses of action.
- Support country offices and partners with the annual audit and share one consolidated audited report with the YPE financial controller according to the donor guidelines.
- Generate other period financial reports and analyse, lead preparation of financial forecasts, targets and budgets, including identification of risks and opportunities for the YPE Team Leader and Financial Controller.
- Liaise with the YPE Financial Controller to undertake due diligence assessements.
- Matrix management of YPE human resources supporting finance component and advise on quality output and development of mechanisms to ensure adequate checks and financial management.
- Visit Oxfam country offices approximately 12-14 weeks per annum to work with them to:
- ensure that financial management is carried out in accordance with internal processes and recognised financial standards and that donor obligations and requirements are met
- oversee budgetary cycles, monitor programme expenditure and resolve problems
- provide support on the preparation of quarterly finance reports and annual audited accounts to Oxfam IBIS
- advise on budget utilization and strategies that YPE should take to improve on utilization and efficiency
- provide technical know-how to implement all forms of recommendations related to financial monitoring, review and risk assessment
- develop the capacities of Oxfam country office staff and local partner organisations where necessary
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
General skills and job profile:
- Requires the ability to collaborate with other programme units (e.g. technical teams, affiliates in-country).
- Decision-making requires significant levels of judgement based on technical experience for making financial decisions and implementing financial processes, policies and templates.
- Diverse and complex problem solving related to financial health requiring professional knowledge, field experience and an understanding of development.
- Work patterns are not routine and often high pressure.
- Requires the ability to analyse and present information to concerned teams. Communication is with internal contacts only.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/ gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible
General skills required for the position
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following essential skills, and it would be advantageous to demonstrate some or all of the desirable skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, financial management, business administration, or relevant field. At least 5 years’ experience in financial project management. Good knowledge of International NGO Financial Reporting Standards.
- Experience and skill in budgeting, project accounting, auditing and financial reporting procedures for large, multi-country programmes
- Knowledge of budgetary processes in INGOs and experience with capacity development of colleagues and partner organisations. Proven ability to analyse and synthesise complex issues.
- Experience in coordinating meetings with country teams. Strong verbal and written communications skills in English and French
- Demonstrated ability, tact, and sensitivity in working across institutional boundaries, business units, and teams in an effective and productive way
- Excellent computer skills, including expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Verbal and written communications skills in Arabic
- Experience with remote management and coordination
- Experience in and working knowledge of projects funded by DAPP or Danida
The annual salary and benefits will be in line with Oxfam values and subject to location. The position is a fixed-term position for 1 year with possibility of extension until end-June 2022. You will be reporting to the YPE Financial Controller at Oxfam. The location will ideally be MENA region where the YPE programme is implemented in close cooperation with country offices (Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia and Jordan).
How to apply
Please submit your application via the ‘send application’ button and include your motivation letter and CV.
Application deadline: June 14th, 2020 at 23.59. Expected interview date: shortly after deadline.
Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
Start date: As soon as possible.
For further information about the position, please contact email@example.com
Oxfam IBIS is committed to equal employment opportunity we therefore encourage everybody – irrespective of age, gender and of religious, sexual, national or ethnic affiliation – to apply for this position.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organisations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct.
We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Find out about everything we do – www.oxfamibis.dk
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.