Who we are
International Media Support (IMS) supports local independent media and media advocacy groups in countries affected by conflict, political transition and authoritarian rule. Set up in 2001, the organisation has since then worked with hundreds of local and international partners to support independent journalism, freedom of expression and the safety of journalists. In the MENA region, we work with partners to further the safety of journalists, promote freedom of expression and media reform, build institutions, and develop media content.
As the Operations Officer you will be responsible for the financial and administrative coordination and support of programme activities assisting the Programme Managers in all steps of Programme Cycle Management. Furthermore, you will coordinate partner relations and maintain contact (projects, contracts, preparation of payments and finalization of accounts) and organize travel and logistics related to programme activities
You will report to the Programme Team Lead, work closely with Programme Manager (PM), and liaise frequently with IMS’ Finance and Administration Department as well as other cross-cutting units where needed.
Key functions and responsibilities:
- Act as the first point of contact in relation to financial and administrative aspects of the programmes.
- Identify operational and financial challenges with programme implementation and propose solutions to mitigate operational risks.
- Prepare, quality check, and follow-up on all types of contracts, hereunder financial controlling of accounts and financial reports.
- Prepare payments for processing in accordance with allocated budgets in close coordination with the Finance department.
- Analyse, and correct expenditure variances and provide timely feedback to the team lead and PM to ensure all stakeholders are kept up to date with budgetary amendments.
- Draft or proofread documents such as Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs, Terms of Reference (ToRs), and review narrative reports.
- Maintain an up-to-date document repository of all programme documents and resources ensuring they are updated timely in all internal systems.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining a system for monitoring and feedback of project activities, and media output archives.
- Logistical assistance and planning of implementation of special events; conferences; group visits, obtaining visas, etc.
Qualifications and skills
- 5 years of experience in programme operations cycle management in a challenging context
- Demonstrated interest in and good understanding of the current political and human rights/ media environment in Yemen and Syria.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Exceptional multitasking and time management skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Excellent written and verbal English skills, Arabic is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the MENA region.
Duration and location
- Expected length of employment: 9 months maternity cover.
- Place of employment: Copenhagen
- Employment type: Fulltime
How to apply
- Applicants are invited to enclose a detailed CV (résumé) with a cover letter, outlining your motivation and how your skills and experience meet the needs of the position by 15th August 2021
- Please direct questions about the position to Regional Director (MENA), Michael Irving Jensen on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The successful candidate is expected to start work 1st October 2021
- For further information about IMS, please visit www.mediasupport.org.