Who we are
International Media Support supports local independent media and media advocacy groups in countries affected by conflict, political transition and authoritarian rule. Set up in 2001, the organisation has since then worked with hundreds of local and international partners to support independent journalism, freedom of expression and the safety of journalists. In the MENA region, we work with partners to further the safety of journalists, promote freedom of expression and media reform, build institutions, and develop media content.
IMS is seeking a dedicated and experienced Programme Manager to join the MENA team. As the Programme Manager, you will be responsible for the overall management, implementation and further development of a regional action in collaboration with our consortium partner and local partners, as well as take the lead on thematic projects relevant to the context with a special focus on providing core support to independent media partners and freedom of expression actors.
You will report to the Programme Team Lead, work closely with the Operations officer, and liaise frequently with IMS’ Finance and Administration Department, the Communications Unit, and other cross-cutting units where needed.
Key functions and responsibilities:
- Manage and implement all aspects of programme cycle management, including formulation of strategy, identification and assessment of partners, programme and project planning, progress reporting, and monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Carry out regular meetings with our consortium partner (FPU) to ensure all stakeholders are continuously updated with programme progress, challenges, and finances.
- Maintain close contact with local and international partners relevant to IMS’s strategic objectives and values at programme level.
- Prepare and review programme financial budgets while maintaining a financial overview and control of assigned programmes and projects.
- Support donor relations by providing timely programme and contextual updates as well as donor proposals including results framework analysis, workplans, narrative reports, etc. to the Programme Team Lead and Regional Director (MENA).
- Work closely with the MENA regional programme engagement to utilise existing knowledge, lessons learned, and professional relationships in the region.
- Organise and ensure steering committee meetings are planned and carried out in a timely manner.
- Monitor political, social and media developments in the MENA region that are relevant for further programme development.
- Work with advisors on conceptualising and successfully implementing partners’ capacity building projects.
- Work closely with the MENA M&E advisor to develop and implement metrics, evaluate impact, and document action steps and lessons learned.
Qualifications and skills
- 5-8 years of experience in programme and project cycle management in challenging and regional contexts.
- Experience with EU grant mechanisms.
- Solid experience in streamlining grant administration and procurement processes
- Previous experience in working within a consortium is an asset
- Demonstrable experience in designing and leading successful media development programmes, supporting good journalism, strengthening civil society, and affected communities
- Strong understanding of the current political and media environment in the MENA region.
- Solid experience with resource mobilization, fundraising activities, and donor reporting
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Strong ability to work independently within guidelines.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English, Arabic is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the MENA region.
Duration and location
- Expected length of employment: Open ended contract
- Place of employment: Copenhagen
- Employment type: Fulltime
How to apply
- Applicants are invited to enclose a detailed CV (résumé) with a cover letter, outlining your motivation and how your skills and experience meet the needs of the position by 1. September 2021
- Please direct questions about the position to Regional Director (MENA), Michael Irving Jensen on email@example.com
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview.
- The successful candidate is expected to start work 1. November 2021.
- For further information about IMS, please visit International Media Support | Paving the way for good journalism