Who we are
International Media Support (IMS) supports local independent media and media advocacy groups in countries affected by conflict, political transition and authoritarian rule. Set up in 2001, the organisation has since then worked with hundreds of local and international partners to support independent journalism, freedom of expression and the safety of journalists. In the MENA region, we work with partners to further the safety of journalists, promote freedom of expression and media reform, build institutions, and develop media content.
IMS is seeking a dedicated and experienced Operations Officer the MENA team focused on our Syria and Yemen programs As the Operations Officer you will be responsible for the financial and administrative coordination and support of the regional programme activities in collaboration with our consortium partner ensuring effective and efficient implementation in line with IMS institutional practices
You will report to the Programme Team Lead, work closely with Programme Manager (PM), and liaise frequently with IMS’ Finance and Administration Department as well as other cross-cutting units where needed.
Key functions and responsibilities:
- Act as the first point of contact in relation to financial and administrative aspects of the projects, contracts, and preparation of payments to partners and finalisation of accounts.
- Identify operational and financial challenges with programme implementation and propose solutions to mitigate operational risks.
- Prepare, quality checks and follow-up on all types of contracts; hereunder financial controlling of accounts and financial reports.
- Prepare payments for processing in accordance with allocated budgets and contracts in close coordination with the Finance department.
- Analyse, and correct expenditure variances and provide timely feedback to the team lead and PM to ensure all stakeholders are kept up to date with budgetary amendments.
- Draft or proofread documents such as Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) and Terms of Reference (ToRs).
- Maintain an up-to-date document repository of all programme documents and resources ensuring they are timely updated in various internal system.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining system for monitoring and feedback from project activities, media output archives.
- Logistical assistance and planning of implementation of special events; conferences; group visits, obtaining visas, etc.
Qualifications and skills
- 5 years of experience in programme operations cycle management in challenging and regional context
- Previous experience with EU grants financial and administrative management is a preference
- Demonstrated interest in and good understanding of the current political and human rights/ media environment in the MENA region.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Exceptional multitasking and time management skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in Arabic and English are a must.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the MENA region.
Duration and location
- Expected length of employment: Open ended contract.
- Place of employment: Copenhagen
- Employment type: Fulltime
How to apply
- Applicants are invited to enclose a detailed CV (résumé) with a cover letter, outlining your motivation and how your skills and experience meet the needs of the position by 1. September 2021
- Please direct questions about the position to Regional Director (MENA), Michael Irving Jensen on email@example.com
- The successful candidate is expected to start work 1. November 2021.
- For further information about IMS, please visit www.mediasupport.org.