Do you have expertise in human rights in the MENA region and do you want to work with state actors or governments in e.g. Tunisia, Morocco, Jordan or Lebanon?
Then you may be our new senior project manager of the DAPP project based in Copenhagen but with frequent travels to the region.
You will be responsible for the implementation of projects in six countries and with approximately 10-15 partners which typically are Ministries of Interiors, Prime Ministries and national human rights institutions in the MENA region.
You report to the Department Director and coordinate closely with the Programme Manager who in your daily work will be your team leader and nearest sparring partner.
In your efforts to ensure successful implementation, you work with a team of 6 – 8 dedicated and engaged staff members consisting of strategic advisors, senior researchers, project economist, project officers, local representatives, external consultants and student assistants.
Your work tasks
As senior project manager you will:
- Be responsible for project coherence and for delivering project results within acceptable risk, time, budget and quality level.
- Manage the project in compliance with the Institute’s procedures for project management and administration including monitoring, narrative reporting, budgeting and accounting including initiating financial reporting and conducting regular financial risk assessments.
- Design, plan, cost, procure and execute activities in line with the Institute’s concepts and methodologies. You are not expected to be able to participate in all activities, but you will have the overall responsibility for all activities and planning hereof, and you are in charge of drafting annual activity plans and following-up on implementation. You will be the focal point for the Institute in the Human Rights Dialogue Consortium.
- Represent the project internally and externally and maintain close cooperation and communication with our partners, consortium partners and stakeholders in the region.
- Coordinate the work of the project members including those based in the Institute’s local office in the region (currently in Jordan and Tunisia) and promote local ownership of the national projects.
- Efficiently handle all aspect of the project including service delivery contracts and report to the Institute, DAPP steering committee and the donor when requested.
- Maintain an overview of all the components of the project and monitor and report regularly on progress in activities, outcomes and financial and administrative matters to the Institute’s Programme Manager.
- Conduct political dialogue with local authorities in partner countries to ensure political support for the projects
- Conduct dialogue with relevant donors in cooperation with the Programme Manager
- Relevant degree at MA level in Human Rights, Law, Political Science, Public Administration or similar.
- Minimum 8 years of proven professional experience working with human rights or state actors in a development context, preferably in the MENA region.
- Fluency in Arabic and English are requirements. Fluency in French is an advantage.
- Context knowledge from field experience in the MENA region.
- Knowledge of Danish Foreign Policy in the MENA region and of the main issues related to donors in the region.
- Knowledge and interest in human rights and development issues.
- Excellent experience in being part of a dynamic and engaged team.
- Excellent diplomatic communication and inter-personal skills including proven record in developing partnerships and interact with partners and to work in politically sensitive contexts.
- Well-organised, flexible and able to work independently.
About your new department
As senior project manager for DAPP at the Danish Institute for Human Rights (the Institute), you will be part of our National Compliance Programme which is based in the Capacity Department at the Institute. The department works, among other things, to develop the capacity of partner organisations to comply with their human rights obligations and implement recommendations from the international human rights system. We are in total 18 staff members in the department including staff working in Tunisia and Jordan.
About the DAPP
The Danish-Arab Partnership Programme is Denmark’s collaboration programme with the Middle East and North Africa.
The program helps to strengthen good governance and ensure economic opportunities, through partnerships. The mission of the Danish-Arab Partnership Program is to lay the foundation for democratization, stability and prosperity in the Middle East and North Africa – read more here.
The Danish Institute for Human Rights is part of the human rights dialogue consortium lead by Dignity. Other consortium partners are Danmission, Euromed rights and Euromed foundation. The project runs from 2017 to 2022.
Conditions of employment
The position has duty station in Copenhagen and include international travels. The position is full time and salary will be determined in accordance with the Danish Ministry of Finance’s agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations with the possibility to negotiate individual supplements.
Please submit your application no later than 12h00 CET on 4 January 2020. Click the link in the top right corner to access the application form.
The Institute strives to achieve diversity in its staff composition and therefore invites all qualified candidates to apply for the position.
For more information, contact Programme Manager, Una Verdel, on + 4591325784 /email@example.com or Department Director, Kristine Yigen on + 4525329577